Transactional Analysis Seminar (TA 101) - OPPORTUNITIES & Background Information
The Transactional Analysis seminar TA 101 is the entry-level course in Transactional Analysis. It is intended for people who have no experience with TA. It is intended to teach the basic concepts of transactional analysis. There is no prior knowledge necessary. It serves as a basis for all further TA training courses, because it ensures that everyone is already familiar with the core concepts of transactional analysis.
In this article you will find:
1. Why it's Called Transactional Analysis Seminar 101
There are different stories about the origin of the course name.
One version is that Eric Berne has always run this course in room 101. He was the founder of Transactional Analysis. Another version is that the "101" in TA 101 is the English term for a beginners' course.
When you go to college in the US to take a series of courses, the first one usually is the 101. Math 101 will then be the first math class on which all other courses build. It is the same with Transactional Analysis. The TA in TA 101 stands for the abbreviation Transactional Analysis. TA 101 is therefore an introductory course on which further courses are based.
Which story is the correct one?
I claim that the second version is correct. Let me give you an argument: The first course (101 course) at a collage is a mandatory course. It lays the basics for all subsequent courses. This can only be skipped if you pass a test and thus prove that you already master the 101 topics.
Transactional Analysis works the same way. Basically, a TA 101 course is required. However, there is also the possibility to skip the introductory seminar by passing an exam. That's how it is regulated in the internationally valid guidelines of the International Transactional Analysis Association. All other TA associations align their guidelines to these which is why you can take this exam in any country. Like this, the guidelines for entry-level Transactional Analysis follow the structure of college courses. For me, this is a valid argument for the second version about the origin of the designation TA 101 being correct.
2. The Written Exam as Alternative to the TA 101 Seminar
It is possible to acquire the TA 101 certificate by passing a written exam. The exam is an open book exam. This means that you can use any documentation to help you answer the questions. This can be TA literature or tutorial videos of the basic course.
The exam questions are based on the guideline for the TA 101 course. Ten questions are posed and the answer should cover about one letter sized sheet of paper per question. Most of the questions are transfer tasks. This means that you apply a TA concept, for example, to a life situation experienced by you. You can take as much time as you want to work on the exam. Whether you answer the questions in one afternoon or write down an answer every few days is up to you.
To pass the exam, you need to reach a minimum of 65 points of the attainable 100 points.
Taking part in the exam has the following advantages:
- You reflect what you have learned so far and you apply it
- You recieve individual and written feedback with valuable learning impulses
- No travel or accommodation costs
- Enjoy a free weekend at hme instead of being present at a seminar
If you want to get your TA 101 certificate via the exam, just take part in the basic course Transactional Analysis.
With its video modules, the course will cover every aspect of the TA 101 guide, to ensure you can competently answer the exam questions. After you have done this, you simply send them by e-mail to Jürg. Done! He evaluates your exam, gives you individual feedback and sends you your TA 101 certificate digitally and in paper by mail to any place in the world.
3. The Certificate of the TA 101 Seminar
Everyone that participates in a TA 101 course, receives the TA 101 certificate. This proves your basic knowledge of the TA concepts. However, the TA 101 curriculum includes so many topics that they often cannot be covered in a two-day seminar. Because of the many organizational and social processes of a presence seminar, a lot of time is lost.
The online course Transactional Analysis covers every required topic of the curriculum. You can learn them when you want and where you want. This ensures a comprehensive knowledge of the basics of Transactional Analysis. If you pass the exam integrated in the online course, you will also be certified. There is also no prior knowledge necessary. The great thing about the online course: You can refresh your knowledge very quickly thanks to the short, knowledge-intensive videos and lifelong access to them. You in a TA training and in the next seminar is about rackets? Watch 10 minutes of video and you've learned the basics. Now you can ask questions at a whole new level in the classroom.
Good to know: Here you can book the online course Transactional Analysis and get your TA 101 certificate by taking the exam. The online course will cover all relevant topics, following the guidelines of the International Transactional Analysis Association (ITAA) exam manual.
Those who have the TA 101 certificate are eligible to take part in continuing Transactional Analysis training. This may, for example, consist of a three-year basic training to become a Transactional Analysis Advisor and gain Transactional Analysis Practice Competency.
4. TA 101: Content Overview
Now I'll give you an overview of the main concepts of Transactional Analysis. You would like to have more detailed information about it and know what each concept is good for? Then click here!
- Ego-states: The core model of TA is based on three ego states: adult, child, and parent ego states. Every ego state is the interplay of thinking, feeling and acting. We use the model to understand how we ourselves or another person thinks, feels and acts at a given moment.
- Transactions: The concept is named after them. They examine how people communicate with each other. We use the ego state model as a basis. Transactions allow you freedom in your communication.
- Contract: Sounds technical, but refers to agreements in your daily life.TA explains how you can use them in a purposeful, productive way without creating a losing part.
- Psychological basic needs: Everyone has them. But what are they and how can we satisfy them in a timely manner? We respond exactly to the needs for structure, attention and stimulus.
- The life script explains why we follow a secret (unconscious) plan in our lives and how we can rewrite it to achieve the result we desire.
- Psychological games and drama triangle are ways of creating relationships. TA examines the mechanisms and explains how we can get out of these so-called "vicious circles". "No More Drama" is the secret motto of these two concepts.
- Feelings and expression of feelings: We learn to distinguish between authentic feelings and emotional flashbacks. Get ready to expand your scale of feeling.
My other articles will give you an introduction to Transactional Analysis. Definition, core concepts and ethics of TA are explained in a simple way and you will receive a Transactional Analysis PDF for your overview.
5. Get Started with Transactional Analysis Seminar TA 101
Today we discussed background information about the TA 101 course. It is your entry into the world of TA and new and fruitful relationships in your life.
If you are interested in the Transactional Analysis 101 Certificate, you can get it with this course.
- A full overview of the TA 101 course
- What motivates people to take the introductory seminar
In my articles about "TA 101" I focus on:
The basic course Transactional Analysis is the online version of a Transactional Analysis seminar for beginners. With it you can learn TA extra-occupational and temporally flexible. If you have questions, just write me.